Heater Resistor Replacement

From the oily bits to ICE, all your technical questions answered.

Heater Resistor Replacement

Postby cheapskatetony » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:42 am

Hi all, just wondering if anyone out there has used a product called Rezpax repair kit , it sells for about £6.50 on e-bay .sounds like an upgrade to me,also too good to be true...any feedback would be helpful Cheers Tony
cheapskatetony

Re: Heater Resistor Replacement

Postby rhyds » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:50 am

Just had a quick look at the site. It looks like its just a set of replacement "wound wire" resistors that you solder on to the original base plate. If your confident with regards to soldering then it might be worth a go, but personally I've used some 10 watt ceramic resistors that should last longer. Maplins or any local electronic place can provide the right kit.
To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day.

Sir Winston Churchill
rhyds
Admin

Postby rhyds » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:51 am

Here's a post I made on the now defunct AROnlike forum in 2009 regarding fixing this problem:

I've done this job recently. Thanks go to pete for the how to guide and technozen over on .org for his how-to on repairing the actual resistor pack in this thread:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=55979

For those who are interested here's a synopsis:

Rover used three coils of resistance wire in the resistor pack which look like this (the pack in the image is faulty):

The values for these coils are

1.5 ohm 10 watt
0.68 ohm 10 watt
0.27 ohm 10 watt

These are connected in series in stages to provide speeds one, two and three (Brian will probably be able to clarify) and get VERY, VERY HOT during use (if you want a demonstration, whack your blower on speed 3 and see the larger coil on the right glow bright red). They are cooled by being placed in the airflow for the heater blower, giving them at least some chance of survival.

On my 45, it was the central resistor that had failed, but due to the fact that both the centre and left resistors are used for speeds one and two, I lost both speeds, which was a pain.

My answer was to order up the following resistors from http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/C ... hp?cat=251

2x 3.3 Ohm 10 watt
2x 1.5 Ohm 10 watt
2x 0.56 Ohm 10 Watt

The reason for ordering two of each was so that both resistors can be used in parallel (i.e. left "leg" one resistor soldered to the left leg of another resistor of the same value and the right soldered to the right) to create a resistor with twice the power rating (20 watt) but half the resistance, which worked out as:

1.65 ohm
0.75 ohm
0.28 ohm

Which are close enough to the original values specified by Rover. These were then soldered in to place following this diagram (again from .org)

You'll need to do some jiggling about to keep the resistors within the"footprint" of the resistor pack but it is possible. I don't have any pics of my own repair because I thought that my soldering was unfit for public consumption, but it has worked fine for the past week. While using parallel resistors means you have to find space for twice as many resistors the fact that they are over-specced means that they should last longer than the original coils.

The same resistor packs are fitted to 200/25, 400/45 and MG F/TF IIRC.
To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day.

Sir Winston Churchill
rhyds
Admin

Postby Zeuss101 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:20 am

When mine broke I found a bloke on eBay who I sent my knackered pack to and for under a tenner all in, he soldered new ceramic resistors to it and sent it back to me. Hassle free and excellent if you don't have a soldering iron. Still works three years later.
1972 Rover 2000 SC
1999 Rover 416i XL
Zeuss101
Admin

Postby cheapskatetony » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:45 am

WOW! so much response so quickly , thank you all , now all I have to do is decide which to choose ,ceramic or coils , I have basic soldering skills so fitting won't be a problem , being a cheapskate, I'll probably go for the cheapest option , once again thanks for all your input Regards.....Tony
cheapskatetony

Postby GaryZS » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:46 pm

I've done quite a few of these - 3x 0.47 ohm ceramic resistors

£5 and your old one in return if interested.

GaryZS

Postby cheapskatetony » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:01 pm

Deffo interested in that what do I do , jiffy bag it up and send it ? you can e-mail me your address to fj_tonyashford@yahoo.co.uk if you don't want it on public view.......Cheers Tony
cheapskatetony

Postby GaryZS » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:23 pm

cheapskatetony wrote:Deffo interested in that what do I do , jiffy bag it up and send it ? you can e-mail me your address to fj_tonyashford@yahoo.co.uk if you don't want it on public view.......Cheers Tony

Pm me your address and I'll send one to you, pop yours in box when done and send it back with a fiver
Gary
GaryZS

Postby cheapskatetony » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:43 am

Sorry Mate, I don't know to private message through this site , can you give me a clue ......Cheers Tony
cheapskatetony

Postby rhyds » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:49 am

Under garryZS's avatar (small pic of a wheel) there's a link with "PM" on it. Hit that and get typing :)

Sir Winston Churchill
rhyds
Admin

Postby cheapskatetony » Fri May 04, 2012 6:56 am

Hi Gary , the part arrived yesterday , I will fit it sometime over the weekend , and retun my old one to you as soon as possible , with payment ofcourse , many thanks for your help . Regards Tony
Last edited by cheapskatetony on Sat May 05, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheapskatetony

Postby cheapskatetony » Sat May 05, 2012 11:53 am

JOB DONE ! True to tradition I didn,t follow the instrutions to the letter, but at the end of the job the fan is now working on all settings ( cheers Gary Zs ) I couldn't be bothered to remove the glovebox , due to having to get into awkward positions , and being in recovery from a major operation back in september , So I just gave the glovebox a hefty yank and it dropped down out of the way , two minutes later the part was changed and all was well with the world , one of the rubber bump stops flew off but was refitted and the glovebox given a further hefty push back , the whole job took less than 5 minutes to complete :D HAPPY DAYS.....Tony
cheapskatetony

Postby GaryZS » Sat May 05, 2012 12:17 pm

Never knew you could just give the glovebox a good yank - did it go back OK?
Must be about a 60sec job doing it like that!
GaryZS

Postby Zeuss101 » Sat May 05, 2012 2:46 pm

I'd be worried about snapping the plastic tabs, but if it worked, it worked. Not something to do regularly though I'd advise.
1972 Rover 2000 SC
1999 Rover 416i XL
Zeuss101
Admin

Postby 420 Matt » Mon May 07, 2012 3:11 pm

TBH, it only takes 2 mins to undo the bolts, it would be my luck id snap the tabs :lol:
420 Matt

Postby steve00117 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi all, new member here. Gary do you have any more of these please? just found that mine doesn't work on settings 1 & 2
steve00117

Postby GaryZS » Tue May 08, 2012 4:31 pm

steve00117 wrote:Hi all, new member here. Gary do you have any more of these please? just found that mine doesn't work on settings 1 & 2

Just waiting for two to be returned at the mo.
GaryZS

Postby MGJohn » Tue May 08, 2012 5:49 pm

GaryZS wrote:
steve00117 wrote:.
Hi all, new member here. Gary do you have any more of these please? just found that mine doesn't work on settings 1 & 2

Just waiting for two to be returned at the mo.

... :)....

Look what I've just found in my garage :~

So, you wanna buy a BMW..:roll:... some folks dont got no class.
MGJohn

Postby GaryZS » Fri May 11, 2012 7:37 pm

Just been busy in my little repair factory.

Huge thanks to John and Tony, will get one off back to you John and one to whoever else it was that wanted one - if I can find them :lol:
Probably be Mon when I get to PO
GaryZS

Postby steve00117 » Wed May 16, 2012 2:03 pm

Received mine this morning, all fitted and working perfectly! Old unit on its way back to you Gary, many thanks.
steve00117

Postby MGJohn » Wed May 16, 2012 2:22 pm

I received one too. Thanks Gary. All my own and family's Rovers and MGs have all the speeds working on their heater fans so this will be put by as a reserve.
So, you wanna buy a BMW..:roll:... some folks dont got no class.
MGJohn

Postby GaryZS » Wed May 16, 2012 5:46 pm

steve00117 wrote:Received mine this morning, all fitted and working perfectly! Old unit on its way back to you Gary, many thanks.

No problem, glad you're sorted.
GaryZS

Postby GaryZS » Wed May 16, 2012 5:47 pm

MGJohn wrote:I received one too. Thanks Gary. All my own and family's Rovers and MGs have all the speeds working on their heater fans so this will be put by as a reserve.

Anytime, mate. Had another batch of resistors arrive today, so can get a stock ready - probably won't have anyone needing one for 12mths now :lol:
GaryZS

Postby Zeuss101 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:00 pm

I'm now in need of one for my girlfriends car as she has reported the fan now only works on speeds 3 and 4 if you've still got any?
1972 Rover 2000 SC
1999 Rover 416i XL
Zeuss101
Admin

Postby GaryZS » Thu May 24, 2012 6:43 pm

Zeuss101 wrote:I'm now in need of one for my girlfriends car as she has reported the fan now only works on speeds 3 and 4 if you've still got any?

Just sent you PM
GaryZS

Next

Return to Mechanical & Electrical